Sunday, March 22, 2015

Most Popular Payment Systems for e-commerce

As an integral part of e-commerce, ways to accept payment and topics around payment security have always been a hot topic. In this blog post, I will review some of the most popular payment systems that I have either personally used or have had friends used.

Paypal

PayPal is the world’s most widely used payment acquirer, processing over $4 billion in payments in 2011. a PayPal account could be funded with an electronic debit from a bank accountor by a credit card at the payer’s choice. I have had Paypal for over 8 years, signed up when I wanted to buy - and then later sell - on Ebay. I have seen iterations and versions of Paypal, and I like where the company is going with it. I feel secure checking out using Paypal knowing that I do not disclose my credit card information with the merchant, especially around the time people are scared by the Target credit card breach in 2013.

Apple Pay


Apple Pay operates out of the iPhone’s Passbook app and lets a customer add a credit or debit card from an iTunes account by entering the card’s security code. A customer can also add a new card by using the phone’s camera to capture all the information.
To pay, a customer selects the “Apple Pay” button on the checkout screen. That’s it.
For now, the feature is limited to in-store purchases using the new iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch or in-app payments on those devices, but Apple has announced an API for developers. As popularity of mobile commerce rises, it’ll be interesting to see whether this feature makes its way to on-site payments. I have used Apple Pay in stores that accept the payment form, and the process is fast, simple and easy. I may end up spending more due to the convenience factor but that's another problem to worry about.


Google Wallet


Google Checkout is an online payment processing service provided by Google aimed at simplifying the process of paying for online purchases. Users store their credit ordebit card and shipping information in their Google Account, so that they can purchase at participating stores by clicking an on-screen button. I first signed up for the service years ago but did not see many merchants accepting Google Wallet besides Google Shopping Express, so I did not get to use it as often as Paypal. I am confident however that my credit card information will be safe with Google than sitting in a merchant database.

Square

Square supplies a free card-reader dongle that you plug into your smartphone. Link it to your bank account, then simply swipe a credit card to collect money. It even e-mails receipts. Square charges a fee of 2.75 percent per swipe. I see Square more and more in newly established small businesses, and the transactions have been smooth. I have not tried it online to buy but have paid my friend using the app. It was easy to use and money was transferred very quickly.
Amazon Payments

Amazon Payments is a way for customers to purchase goods and services at websites across the internet using the payment methods in their Amazon.com accounts, such as their Visa or MasterCard. Popular crowdfunding site Kickstarter uses Amazon Payments. This is a tricky one. I tried to sell my old textbooks on Half.com and signed up for Amazon Payments thinking it will be easier to collect money. However, the signup process was very confusing and I remember spending a good 30 minutes on figuring out where to put my bank account information. Full disclosure, I signed up 2 years ago, the process may have improved in the meantime.
Stripe

Stripe is a simple way to accept payments online. Stripe provides an excellent payment solution for web developers who would like to integrate a payment system into their projects using Stripe’s robust API. Stripe powers commerce for thousands of sites across the web. I have not noticed sites taking Stripe as a payment option on the sites that I frequently shop at online, but I have heard great things about Stripe and how it takes a lower transaction fee than big payment systems and credit card companies like Visa and MasterCard.

No comments:

Post a Comment